We originally were traveling from Catania to Abu Dhabi but had a layover in Athens. So why not stay a week in this ancient city? We went ahead and booked an apartment using Expedia to earn points and off we went. We weren't exactly sure what to expect but were pleasantly surprised with this city.
1. Ancient Greece. If you come to Athens you have to visit most archeological sites. We purchased a multi archeological site pass which cost us around 30 euros each. This includes access to Acropolis, Temple of Olympian Zeus, Hadrian's library, Ancient Agora & Roman Agora. Passes can be purchased at the entrance of any of these sites (we purchased them at Temple of Olympian Zeus).
2. Athens is a walkable city but some distances are too far so the subway is easy to navigate and affordable.
3. Eat a koulouria at Fournos Veneti (near US Embassy).
4. Walk around Plaka neighborhood and Anafiotika (white homes with colorful doors). Anafiotika offers some great views of Athens and of Acropolis.
5. Take a stroll around the National Gardens. You'll also be close to the Presidential Palace where you can see the change of the guards.
6. Go to Syntagma square, walk around and visit the shopping area that surrounds it.
7. Visit the Metropolitan Cathedral of Athens.
8. Getting to and from the airport is very easy. You have the option to take the bus or the train. Both are easy and simple. No need to take a taxi or rent a car.