After 4 very busy days in New Delhi we were ready to see more of India and be able to sit back and get some rest. We chose South West India to enjoy a week near the beach in Goa. We visited during monsoon season so it was not the usual time of the year with all the tourists and water activities. This was ideal for us as we were looking for some restful days. Below are our suggestions based on our experience during monsoon season:
- Beaches: Goa is famous for its beaches. We were able to visit a few but because of monsoon season there was a lot of rain. This also causes beaches to not be as clean as they would be during regular season. There are plenty of water sport activities. It is worth a visit for sightseeing during monsoon.
- Portuguese rule left many grand churches that deserve a visit: Basilica of Bom Jesus, Mary Imaculate, St Alex and Se Cathedral Santa Catarina.
- Visit Indian Temples: Shanta Durga and Mangueshi.
- Take a tour of the spice plantations.
- If you like hiking visit Dudhsagar Falls.
- Goa overall had a much more relaxed feeling than New Delhi. So it is a good place for relaxing. In terms of food it was good but we continued to be cautious as our stomachs weren't reacting nicely.. Overall Goa seemed less polluted than New Delhi. You still will see plenty of trash but not as much as in the city. It also felt as if there were less stares in Goa. Its probably due to the presence of more foreigners. I also started wearing a Sari (traditional women clothing) and got less looks.....