Porto (Portuguese) - Oporto (English)
Why did we decide to go to Oporto?
After spending almost two months in Spain we wanted to explore a nearby country. How about crossing the border to Portugal? It was the closest city to Santiago de Compostela and only a 3.5 hour bus ride away. We thought it would be nice to make the trip there and indeed what a great experience. We stayed in an Airbnb! Loved experiencing the city as a local! Click here to earn $35 from VnS on your first stay!
Top Ten Places to see in Porto!
- Walk across the Dom Luis Bridge and enjoy the great view of the Duoro river.
- Visit the Porto Cathedral and enjoy the great views.
- Visit the Lello Library and buy a book (you get a discount).
- Visit Capela das Almas and enjoy the beautiful blue tiles.
- Visit Avenida Los Aliados.
- Visit Bolhao Market and buy some fresh bread.
- Walk on the other side of the Duoro and visit one of the many Port Wine Cellars.
- Eat a Francesinha: Traditional sandwich (non-vegetarian).
- Take the tram to the beach on a sunny day and have lunch by the ocean!
- Watch a soccer game outdoors!
How to move around in Porto?
Metro: Easy to use and great to get to and from the airport.
Tram: Touristy routes.
Bus: We didn't use this option but seems to be the most budget friendly one.
Taxis: Are everywhere and they do use their meter!
Getting here from Santiago de Compostela?
There are no direct trains so we took the bus. Easy and simple 3.5 hour commute. We used InterNorte and paid about 33 Euros each:http://www.internorte.pt/pt/