We went further south to indulge in some Sicilian culture. We didn't do a lot of research before traveling here and just took a flight from Rome to Catania, rented an Airbnb in the perfect location (thanks to all the previous reviews!) and off we went for 10 days. Below our recommendations and highlights:
1. Walk around and explore Catania city. Sicily compared to other places we have visited in Italy had a much more local feel and didn't seem as touristy and busy. It's a walkable city and there are plenty of local restaurants and bakeries to enjoy.
2. Eat an awesome Sicilian Arancini (rice ball filled with meat). Our favorites where at Etoile D'or. Anything here is amazing! Great for breakfast and lunch.
3. Visit Castello Ursino and enjoy the surrounding restaurants.
4. Sicily is famous for its horse meat. If you're a meat eater go for it. We liked it!
5. Visit Cattedrale di Sant Agata and stroll around the plaza.
6. Go to the morning fish market (everyday except Sunday's) for a traditional Sicilian experience.
7. Visit Mount Etna. A lot of local tours provide transportation.
8. Catania is a train or bus ride away many other beautiful Sicilian cities: Taormina, Palermo, Trapani, Agrigento. If you have the time go and explore. We visited a few neighbor cities by bus.